A few years have passed since the cliff hanger conclusion of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent, in which Agent Sam Fisher undertook a particularly dirty mission, full of questionable actions, in the shadow of the inexplicable and unmourned death of his daughter. Fisher is now a renegade operative digging into the events of the past and he doesn't like what he has found. His personal investigation into his daughter's death reveals that he's been betrayed by his former agency, the Third Echelon. The agency responds by pursuing him, but as he works to elude them he becomes aware of a deadly terrorist plot that threatens millions. He is uniquely positioned and prepared to act against this, but success is doubtful without the help of former friends from the Third Echelon team, resulting in a series of life and death situations for himself and the country where trust can by no means be assumed.
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction, as with all games in the Splinter Cell series, is a tactical stealth-action game. In single player modes players take on the role of Sam Fisher and engage in a series of missions utilizing high-tech weaponry, gadgets, lethal hand-to-hand combat and interrogation skills. Overall objectives and the necessary steps to achieve them are challenging, yet always clear via dual verbal and visual expression that seamlessly alerts players as they progress through missions. In addition, Conviction enhances the world of stealth combat that has made the Splinter Cell franchise a runaway hit for years through a series of revolutionary new gameplay features. These include:
Co-op Story Mode
- Mark and Execute - A gameplay mechanism for eliminating several enemies at once, Mark and Execute allows players to "Mark" multiple enemies, or points in the surrounding environment for termination in batches. Once this is done, a close-combat kill is required, after which the player can activate the "Execute" portion of the mechanism to dispose of all enemies in a cinematic manner. A limited amount of Mark functionality is attached to players' weapons, so this ability must be used wisely.
- Last Known Position - Last Known Position is a visual representation of where the game's AI assumes you are, based on where you were last sighted. This provides players with a wide array of options, including setting traps for enemies, flanking maneuvers or simply disappearing while you are thought to be elsewhere.
- Experience System - Successful completion of objectives via the Persistent Elite Creation System earns players rewards in the form of experience points. These can be used to upgrade weapons and gadgets that will allow for cleaner, quieter and more deadly attacks.
Prologue, the co-op story mode included in Splinter Cell: Conviction is available either in split-screen local play or via Xbox LIVE. Prologue offers an exclusive prequel campaign to that found in single player mode and features new characters and settings, three difficulty settings, three sub game modes and four maps. Designed to stand apart from, as well as supplement the single player campaign, gameplay mechanics available within it include shareable Mark and Execute target points and Last Known Position, as well as teammate revival functionality via a portable defibrillator, the ability to work with a teammate to eliminate enemies who have captured you, and more.
Key Game Features
- A New Level of Splinter Cell Action - A full arsenal of cutting-edge innovations allow you to outflank foes with the Last Known Position system, tag and eliminate enemies using the Mark and Execute feature, and much more.
- Blockbuster Experience - A unique storytelling style keeps you on the edge of your seat as you navigate the explosive world of a renegade agent where trust is impossible and justice requires you to go above the law.
- Jaw Dropping Visuals - A revolutionary new graphic direction delivers an utterly seamless gameplay experience that’ll keep you totally engrossed in the story of Sam Fisher.
- Explosive Xbox LIVE Play - Addictive multiplayer modes, content downloads, messaging and voice support and more amp up the dramatic intensity like never before.
- An Exclusive Co-op Story Mode - "Prologue" is an exclusive story mode featuring new characters, settings, four exclusive maps and more. It is only available within Conviction's Co-op mode.